The use of the conference call commercially can be a fantastic aid to getting work done and to achieving what you are looking for from your meeting, but, there are some tips you should follow in order to achieve this:
1. Agenda – Make sure that you have a list of what you want to discuss during the call.
2. Make sure that everyone else knows the agenda, and if they want to bring anything else in, to do so at the end.
3. Chairing a conference call is like chairing a committee, stay in control, and keep the discussions on topic.
4. Know the voices of who’s in on the call, and use plenty of names to signpost to others who is talking.
5. Give everyone a chance to speak if they have something to say.
6. Keep things brief. Whilst this is a meeting it does have fixed objectives and stick to them.
7. Make sure everyone is in on the call before you begin, otherwise you’ll just repeat yourself.
8. Any other business – keep this to the end, and don’t allow it to drag on.
9. Thank all the callers, and then you can get on with your work.
10. Consider keeping a recording of the conference call if you are likely to need to refer back to what has been discussed. Alternatively you could have someone taking minutes during the call.
By following these tips, you can have the successful conference call you are looking for.